Friday, June 1, 2007

Feeling Kind of Fest-ive

Now that it's June 1, I can officially begin my countdown to the Jazz Fest. I'm so excited! In the meantime, however, is Fairport's Canal Days festival with its own contribution to our musical well-being.

I see that Gap Mangione and His Big Band are playing from 6:00 to 9:00 before the fireworks on Friday night. Of course, at 5:30, I will be at Minerva DeLand School in Fairport to see the two jazz ensembles of Fairport High School perform their final concert of the year. These student musicians are among the best I've ever heard, and it's due in large part to their amazing director, Bill Tiberio. Bill pushes them to achieve even more than they think they are capable of; and they enjoy it, as well. It would be worth your while to stop in on your way to the chicken barbeque and Gap.

I'm only going to highlight a few of the groups playing this weekend, but you can view the whole schedule at http://www.fairportcanaldays.com/schedule.php and make your own choices. On Saturday, the Fairport Fire Department Band, always a parade favorite, is performing on the water at 1:00. The Blue Avengers are on at 2:00 at Fairport Junction (does everyone besides me know where this is?); Fred Vine, also at 2:00, is at Packett's Landing. I want to make a special point to see Footnote at 4:30 at Higher Grounds Cafe. They have been kind enough to read my blog and have invited me to come and see them. I'm looking forward to it. On Sunday morning at 11:00, the Fairport High School Alumni Jazz Band will perform--my son's first time as an alum--and they will be followed by The Bill Tiberio Group, jazz at its smoothest and sweetest, at 12:00, both at Packett's Landing. Mint Jam, a group of kids about whom I've heard good stuff (http://www.myspace.com/mintjam) will come after them, and I hope to get the chance to hear them. And, finally, at 3:30 at Packett's Landing, the Bowties will perform. They are a men's a cappella group, formed in 1997 here in Rochester. A delight to hear, they perform a huge variety of music, from doo-wop, jazz, and pop to classical, show tunes, etc. They're pretty cool . . . even though they actually do wear bowties.

Perhaps if I focus on listening to all this great music this year, I can avoid eating all that darned festival food! In addition, I can get a little "music fix" while I await the opening day of RIJF. In my posts next week, I'll offer up the groups I'm planning on seeing and some quick reviews afterward.

2 comments:

Tom D said...

I didn't make it to Canal Days. What were the high/low lights this year? Although a bit warm, the weather certainly cooperated until Sunday afternoon.

Looking forward to Music/Jazz Fest!

Tracy Kroft said...

I haven't had a chance to post, but there was this band made of three kids aged 13 - 15. The lead guitarist, (I will write about these guys) is amazing. He's the total package. Anyway, there is going to be a concert/benefit for Golisano Children's Cancer Center next weekend. Their band, Mint Jam, is going to be playing with two others at the Penfield Amphitheater from 6:30 to 9:00 on Friday. You should take your daughter. These kids were covering Cream, Hendrix, Clapton, Led Zepplin, Robben Ford--and covering them WELL. They had their originals, too. I'm telling you, I was truly impressed. So was Joe and Bill Tiberio. I'm sure Bill wished the kid was in FHS because he would be a powerhouse in the Jazz Band. He takes lessons from Bob Sneider at Eastman after four years at Joe's place. My daughter has to use the computer for homework which trumps my posting right now. So . . . talk to you soon.
T