Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Did The Fat Lady Sing?

I didn't see one, but I think it's all over all the same.

I did see two ladies sing--Nancy Donnelly and a local favorite, Tina Albright. Neither were fat, but both could sing, that's for sure. I missed a couple other singing ladies: Catherine Russell and Esperanza Spalding, who one friend told me was her all-time favorite RIJF performer! Too bad I missed that.

So, let's see, what can I say in this 2007 RIJF post mortem that isn't being said by many others? I'm not sure that I have anything unique to say about this iteration of the Jazz Fest. Everyone who was there had highs and lows, favorites and disappointments, joys and gripes. The thing about music that is so beautiful is that it is enjoyed subjectively and independently. What I loved, someone else hated and vice versa . . . and that's okay. Props to Mark Iacona and John Nugent for bringing in such a wide variety of talent--there was certainly something for everyone (if you could get in).

The thing that is so beautiful about a festival in Rochester is the number and variety of people who come out and walk the streets enjoying the sights, sounds, smells and tastes. The good news is that the crowd (as I experienced it) was diverse, happy and friendly. The bad news was that people thought that a jazz fest was a good place to bring their toddlers in strollers, double-wides and wagons. When your toes get mowed over, your heels clipped, or you trip over a stroller trying to make your way through the crowds, you really question some people's common sense (or lack thereof). I liked seeing kids who were old enough to enjoy the music, but toddlers on leashes and in huge strollers didn't belong there. Can you say, "BABYSITTER"?

I have to touch on the experience of getting shut out of a show. I do understand that it's first come, first served. However, not everyone can get out of work early (or take vacation) to get to a 4, 5, or 6 o'clock show. And I do think that if we are going to continue to utilize intimate venues, we need to consider adding more venues or adding more shows to each venue. And, if the volunteer staff knows that the venue is full, there should be a policy of telling those still standing in line so they can make a decision to remain and hope that people leave or go get in another line. I wasted time and missed out on seeing other things because I wasn't made aware that the venue (Max) was full. (Twice.)

Additionally, many people I know (who happen to be musicians) had a lot of gripes with the quality of the sound systems in the venues. The Harro East had big problems for the first couple of days, Max of Eastman place is acoustically difficult.

High points. I've mentioned Jonathan Kreisberg before. If he comes back, I'll be getting tickets for that show! Benny Golson, what a gem! He's Jazz History 101 in the flesh. Randy Brecker and his band were amazing, and they were gracious enough to sign our passes after the show. He chatted with my friend and I for quite a few minutes. I was impressed. The Rick Holland/Evan Dobbins Little Big Band was a tremendously talented group of local musicians. I can't wait to see them out again. They could more than hold their own in any city, any jazz fest, any situation. We are so lucky to live in a city with such incredible talent. Right here in Rochester!! Go out and see these people the other 51 weeks out of the year. I should have gone to see the Ilmiliekki Quartet at the church instead of Bonerama. Nothing against the trombone group--they were loud and fun. But I heard, after the fact, how wonderful this quartet was, and when am I ever going to get the chance to see them again? I'd probably have the chance to see Bonerama again before I would them. Too bad. On Friday, with no plan, we ended up seeing Andreas Pettersson after a friend texted us and told us we should. Thank goodness for friends. He ended up being my favorite performer of the whole fest. On Saturday, I saw Bill Frisell. After the first song which was weird and, as my son put it, "kind of hokey," he redeemed himself, and I really ended up enjoying him.

I need to learn how to see/hear more during the fest. Next year, I plan on taking a two vacation hours each day--go in at 10:00 (so I can finally make it to one of those jam sessions--I'm so bummed I missed the one with Pettersson) and get off at 4:00 so I can actually make it into a 6:15 show at Max's and not be shut out. Next year, maybe I'll be tech-savvy enough to podcast or at least moblog a la Greg at Jazz@Rochester whom I finally met after the Frisell show. Greg is cool: I was so glad to finally meet him. And, Greg, I loved your shirt--you were way cool and totally jazz, man. (Of course, that is what I expected from a man with an incredible jazz music blog like Greg has.) http://www.jazzrochester.com/

Well, as a friend and I were discussing, I'm kind of in withdrawal. I miss wandering the streets of Rochester with lots of other people. I miss my cookies at Java's. I miss the music, the commeraderie, the aching feet (well, not really), the feeling of living in a vital and vibrant city, the running into people all over the place and the feeling that I got every night--the feeling of being on vacation. Great music, beautiful weather, fun people--it sure did feel like a vacation to me. I can't wait until next year!

Don't be afraid to comment and let me hear your reflections on this year's RIJF!

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: