Saturday, June 23, 2007

We'll Call This One "Hanging With Gene"

Went to the Strathallan last night to see Gene Bertoncini. What an incredible talent! His music was simply beautiful to me. The band who backed him included all heavy hitters as well. Unfortunately, the only name I could hear was Bill Dobbins (who was backing him on piano). Gene wanted to know if he "sounded alright." Alright?! He sounded pretty damned good to everyone in the room--even the people who talked through the show. More on that later. Back to Gene. He hoped that he'd been good enough for Bill. That's, apparently, his level of modesty. He was talking about being nervous for this show he's slated to do in November, how he wasn't practicing enough. Wow. I was, of course, impressed with his talent, but also how down-to-earth he was and how modest. It was cool hanging out with him. He asked about my family, talked about regular stuff, talked with the guys about music, musicianship, past shows, life in general.

We almost didn't stay for that last set because we were tired and the room was so noisy. Gene and the band were set up in the middle of the front wall of the center room--dining room on the left almost completely separated by walls, and the bar on the right. There was an undercurrent of noise coming from the bar, but it was mostly manageable until the roar that happened every so often. I thought they were watching some important sporting event, but the hostess said the roars were most likely due to shot-drinking enthusiasm. It was the people in the room watching Gene--people I assumed were actually there to hear him play--whose talking was so troublesome. Cell Phone Woman on the sofa--Gene shot her a couple of looks, and I think it finally dawned on her to leave the room to continue her call--this after at least 10 minutes of talking (loudly). Stupid? Discourteous? Rude? Clueless? All of the above? Then there was the table of four behind me. 60-somethings, well-dressed, looking fairly educated, but obviously complete idiots when it came to what is acceptable in a social situation in which a performance is being enjoyed by others. The two women blatted loudly and shrilly throughout the whole set, and one of the guys insisted on keeping time by clapping now and again. I did shoot them a couple of withering (I hope) looks, and they would quiet for a moment, but not for good. Gene shot them and Cell Phone Woman a couple of pointed looks, but it did no good. I walked up to him after the last set was over, the band was packed up and gone and he was picking up his stuff. I told him how wonderful he sounded, and how embarrassed I was at all the talking. He was so gracious about it, but we did talk about it afterward and it does bother him. None of us at the table--Gene, Bill Blind, Joe Chiappone, nor I--can understand why people behave in this discourteous way. I noticed fellow bloggers (big-league bloggers, at that) Greg, Ken and Seth there last night--sitting, listening, appreciating, NOT talking. I'm going to have to ask Greg if he notices this at every event he goes to or if the talkers just follow me!

So, for all of you who want to hear some beautiful music, go see Gene Bertoncini tonight at the Strath from 8:30 until 12:30. For those who want a little more rock in their Saturday night, join me at Six Pockets to hear Joe Chiappone, Dave Profetta, Dick Caleri and Ken Kahler (Frontline) at 9:30. Sonic Duality is playing at The Flat Iron Cafe at 9:00--some day I'm going to see those guys. Gene Bertoncini is going to be playing a concert at Nazareth College on Tuesday night. When I have more info, I'll post it.

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: