Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hot Sweets Never Disappoints

From the opening note of Joe Chiappone's first solo of the night--George Benson's Breezin'--Hot Sweets was off and running and everyone was having a good time. The crowd was lighter than normal because of the holiday, but those who were there were dancing all night long.

The guys were hot all night--Todd East's vocals soared along with Chiappone's sweet guitar licks; Ralph Ortiz and Randy Richmond (on drums this week) kept the groove real smooth. Jimmy Richmond's plaintive and soulful vocals on There Ain't No Sunshine (When She's Gone) served to cap off what I think is the best rendition of that tune that I've ever heard. Not unlike the sound Charnett Moffett got out of his upright at last year's McCoy Tyner concert, Ralph Ortiz just about turned his electric bass into a percussion instrument. When these guys go into the recording studio, and I sure hope they do, this tune is a must for them to record.

For all of you who were at McCool's this past Friday, you got a night of first-class music by top-flight musicians. For those of you who weren't there, make sure you are next time!

yours in music,
Tracy

2 comments:

Tom D said...

It sounds great. Any extra curricular activities to report on, such as broken instruments, etc? Only 2 more weeks until Jazz(?) Fest. Maybe we'll see you at Canal Days before that.

Tracy Kroft said...

No musical mishaps at this one! I can't wait until the Jazz Fest; I hope the weather cooperates. Yes, you'll see me at Canal Days. As a matter of fact, FHS Jazz alumni will be playing on Sunday at 11:00 at Packett's Landing and then the Bill Tiberio Group there after that. Saturday, Footnote will be playing, and I wanted to see them and get to meet them. They've commented on my blog and asked me to come out and see them. I'm supposed to sing at 5:00 Mass, though, so I don't know how to be in two places at once.