Thursday, May 10, 2007

Tell Me Why . . .

Tell me why people go to venues with live music playing when all they want to do is yak and cackle the night away? Go to Starbucks for heaven's sake.

I went to The Little Theatre Cafe (a very nice venue) to see The White Hots--this week's incarnation included Ted Mosher on bass, Paul Gaspar on trumpet and piano, Bill Blind on drums, Tom Hanney on harmonica, Steve Greene (in his Birkies) on guitar and the ever lovely Tina Albright on vocals. A wonderfully talented group of musicians well worth seeing even if slightly muddied by the presence of the "Coffee-Klatch Six" in the back and my talking table-mate (didn't know her, but her mouth never stopped). I managed to restrain myself from standing up and screaming, "WILL YOU BE QUIET!" when Tina sang my request--The White Hots' version of Folsom Prison Blues. The White Hots are jazz jewels, and you should not miss them. Look on their website (to which I have a link for your convenience) to see their gig schedule. There are several opportunities to see them; they are not to be missed.

This weekend, Frontline is at the Village Rock Cafe in East Rochester at 10:00pm. Check them out!

yours in music,
Tracy

4 comments:

Tom D said...

"Since 1994 our cafe has been a place to meet, have a bite to eat, discuss films, listen to music," (from the Little Theater web site)

Maybe a movie theater is not a good venue for anything other than background music? (whatever that means) There are other places where I have run into the same thing, usually in hotel bars where there always seems to be one large noisy group having a good time.

Ah, such is life, where everyone has their own agenda.

Tracy Kroft said...

True. Hope I didn't sound too bitchy. On another note: The Key has been in my pocket all week, I just haven't had the opportunity to get over there. Tomorrow, for sure, I promise!

Thanks for commenting. Keep me on my toes!
T

Anonymous said...

For better or worse, most people go to bars and cafes not to listen to music, but to meet people (or pick them up, get lucky, whatever). Good music just makes the scene better, and the music lovers appreciate it, of course.

Listen to the old classic live jazz albums; guys like Bird. Sometimes you can hardly hear the band over the crowd.

Tracy Kroft said...

Well, you have a valid point. Maybe it's as much about socializing as it is about listening. I just think about how I'd feel if I were up there singing my heart out and people were talking over me. Plus, I really enjoy the music more than the chatter. When I was in New York, I was with three musicians. When we were at a club in Greenwich Village listening to this trio, none of us were talking nor were the people around us. We were all just taking it in. I guess maybe that's not the norm. I stand, well not corrected per se, but less cranky! See you soon!