Sunday, February 17, 2008

Oh, yeah, Murray Street Station . . . Interesting place



Let me start by saying that I've just begun to recover my hearing. The band was loud, but louder still was the "music" the bar piped in between sets. The crowd was diverse. And that diversity led to the start of a fight at about 1:20 just before the band's last song. Luckily, Murray Street staff were able to get the warring parties outside, but it was hairy enough there for a minute that I was looking around for a "safe place" to go.

And, of course, I had the requisite drunk guy hanging over me asking me why I wasn't smiling. Well, "because you're bugging me" is what I wanted to say, but I didn't. I really have to work on my "Piss Off" face because instead of coming across as intimidating and a woman worth not bugging, I come across as sad and someone in need of cheering up. Yes, a drunk, slurring, spitting man up too close to my face is definitely going to cheer me up!

Murray Street Station had an interesting ambience, to say the least. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was that there were mounted animal heads all over the walls. I ended up sitting under a small black bear ("What large claws you have!"), and Joe had a large deer just about whispering in his ear as he played.

All that being said, the band sounded great, as usual. And Joe, especially, was on fire. Every note he played was filled with his sweet, soulful sound. And the guys play so well together; they appreciate each other's talent. It's so cool to watch and wonderful to hear.

Jimmy Richmond's wife sat with me. She was a blast; and she loves to dance! So, for the first time in a long time, I was able to hit the dance floor!

Next Saturday night (2/23) at Hi Fidelity (formerly Milestones) Joe, Jimmy, Dave and Ralph will be joined by the rest of PrimeTimeFunk for a two-hour set from 7:00 - 9:00. I have been looking forward to this. And I think I'll have enough friends there with me that I'll be able to hit the dance floor again. I know Jimmy's wife will be there, so I'm assured of at least one partner! And I'm pretty sure there will be no animals' heads mounted on the walls. Hope to see you there!

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: