Friday, February 15, 2008

It's Friday!

That means music at Murray Street Station in Newark! I have no idea what this place is like. I tried to Google it and found, pretty much, nothing. The Aldis Blues Band and the Mary Rose Band have played there. I'll let you know if it's a lovely place like McCool's used to be in Geneva (I miss that place.) or if it's the kind of place that you're afraid to use the bathroom or something in between.

Tonight's gig is a Hot Sweets gig, and I haven't seen the guys play in a while, so I'm looking forward to it.

One thing that I said I was going to do a while ago is mention what music I'm listening to and/or review CDs once in a while. Well, I've been listening to the CD that Joe bought me at the All Star Guitar Night in Anaheim, and that is LJ Plays the Beatles (Laurence Juber, formerly of Paul McCartney & Wings). We heard him at the concert; he played While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and it was beautiful. I'm enjoying that CD. Check out Vicki Genfan on YouTube; I'm listening to her CD "Up Close & Personal" that I bought when I saw her at NAMM. I actually just went to YouTube to make sure there were some, and I also got Laurence Juber as part of the thread of videos that started with her. Funny.

Speaking of YouTube, my daughter's vocal performance last week with the FHS Day Jazz Band is going to be on soon. I can't wait to find it. The bassist's dad recorded it, and is going to post it--hopefully within the next week or so.

The other CD I'm listening to is the one my son recently sent me: Appetite for Destruction (Guns 'n' Roses). The reason he sent it is because Sweet Child O' Mine was the number one song the week he was born, and I used to have the tape but lost it. He, for whatever reason, decided to buy it and send it to me! I thought that was very sweet. I'm quite a sentimental sap, so I love stuff like that. Anyway, who would think that a Guns 'n' Roses tune would make anyone all misty, but it does bring back some wonderful memories of the first few weeks of Drew's life. I played lots of different kinds of music all the time when the kids were little, but Drew told me this summer that the first "real music" he remembers from his childhood is Rusted Root, and he still likes them pretty well. He told me that when I took him and Caroline to see them this past June at the Jazz Fest. I think that's kind of cool.

That's all for now; got to get ready for work.

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: