Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Session with Ruth Elaine . . .

Just as I tuned in to WRUR's Sunday Session with Ruth Elaine, I heard a beautiful version of Misty with a B3 purring, understated drums and a very Joe-like guitarist. I was loving it and starting to get, well . . . misty . . . when suddenly, dead air. Eventually, Ruth Elaine (what a unique DJ style this woman has) came back on and mentioned the obviously chronic technical difficulties they were having this evening and moved on to the Oscar Peterson trio at the BlueNote. That's jazz, I guess.

Speaking of jazz, I am very excited to see that Cyrus Chestnut (who I saw with Cassandra Wilson last May at said BlueNote) is coming to town in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to see him again--actually, I was hoping he'd be at the Jazz Fest, but this might be better. He'll be at Exodus to Jazz at the Clarion; I'm assuming he'll be playing a lengthier set than what they can usually offer during the Jazz Fest. I'm hoping to get tickets and see this warm, wonderful pianist.

Oh my. Is Ruth Elaine offering up another version of Misty to make up? Oh, no. Something else--very similar intro. It was nice, but it was no Misty.

Saw the Steve Greene trio sans Tina Albright last night at the Little Cafe. Tina was at home sick; we were bummed. Kristen Shiner McGuire filled in on vocals. She has a completely different sound--albeit very nice and very jazzy--than Tina; but I was in a Tina mood. Speaking of the Little Cafe, you know, the acoustics in the bathroom are so sweet. I can't help but sing when I'm in there. Last night, my choice was Georgia on My Mind. I sounded great!!! If only I could always sound like that.

Having a great time with my MySpace. I send out friend requests, and people respond "NO WAY." Just kidding. They've all let me be their friend, and I'm getting friend requests from people who have found me out there. It's pretty cool. Now, if I can just learn how to download some music . . . any helpers out there?

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: