Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Monday . . . Tasteology . . . Little Big Band . . . What a way to start the week!

I received a phone message yesterday from Chris at Tasteology inviting me to come and review the Rick Holland-Evan Dobbins Little Big Band who were to be playing at his restaurant last night. His message came shortly after I had received a call from one of the players, Fred Stone, in that same band about something else. It was a sign, I thought; and never being one to turn down an invitation (or ignore a sign), I decided to take my daughter to dinner. I figured I'd review the band and the restaurant at the same time.

I've seen the Rick Holland-Evan Dobbins Little Big Band once before at Hi Fidelity at last year's RIJF. I loved them. While they are "little" in size as compared to a standard big band, they have a huge sound which comes at you in layers with rich textures and beautiful flow. Hmm. Sounds like a description of a dress, I know, but that's how I heard their music. Complex, crisp--each player right on the mark--I could have listened to them all night. My only criticism was that they seemed to need a little time between each song to "talk amongst themselves" and figure out what the next song would be. (I do not remember that from the last time I saw them.) On the upside, that was the only time you could talk to your dining partner if you so chose.

I think the band is playing there every Monday night in April with Evan's dad, Bill Dobbins, sitting in every other week. I will definitely be going back. I couldn't stay for the entire time because my daughter, who also enjoyed the band very much, had homework. I will go back in a couple of weeks, and if they are at the RIJF this year, I will definitely be going to see them. FYI, though the music had started when I got there at 7:30, it was a small combo from the band which was perfect for the dinner hour. The entire Little Big Band came on about 8:30.

The room is very live and that means that the sound of the band is loud and everywhere. For me, that's not a bad thing. When I go to hear a band, that's what I'm there for. If I want to have a quiet dinner with conversation, I don't go where there's live music. I loved, loved, loved that the owner, Tom Chapple and his staff were not telling the band to "turn down." If a club/restaurant hires a band to perform live music, then they shouldn't be shushing them. I've seen it happen time and time again. It drives me crazy.

Tasteology started, according to Tom, as a counter service concept restaurant (think Panera). Within three weeks of opening, and in answer to customer suggestions, they reopened as a full-service restaurant. Additional customer suggestions were incorporated as well--a large selection of "green" wines and live music three nights a week and more "guy food." They have a TV studio kitchen where they offer cooking classes and tape cooking shows for Time Warner On Demand Channel 111. There was actually a class in session last night, and it happened to be all men!

When I got there, I told the host that I'd been invited to review the band by Chris, but he didn't seem to know who Chris was. He did know the owner, though, and said he'd send him over to our table. Well, the host was enjoying only his second day on the job, and not only did he not send the owner, he never sent a server either. I was getting impatient when Tom stopped at our table on his "rounds." I always love seeing an owner or manager circulating throughout the dining room checking on his patrons. It shows a higher level of commitment to customer service. I also saw him washing glasses at the bar at the end of the night--very "hands-on" so to speak.

Tom was very attentive, told me the evolution of the restaurant, got us a server and made sure there was still lobster ravioli in the kitchen! I tried the Parducci pinot grigio (their house by-the-glass green wine). Tasteology serves only "green" wines which are eco-friendly wines produced in specific ways. Go to their website http://www.tasteology.net for a more detailed explanation. The wine was bright, not too fruity and dry enough for me to enjoy very much. I had the lobster ravioli which was delicious, spicy, and fresh with chunks of tomato and green onions. Caroline had the Cali Club roti wrap and loved it. We tried two of the petite desserts, and they are the perfect finishing touch.

Tasteology is a great concept--good, fresh food; lovely atmosphere; and live music. It really doesn't get any better than that for me. I will be back.

yours in music (and food!)
Tracy

4 comments:

uncle wally said...

say, didn't you just complain about the volume at the Merchant's gig? hmmm. . .

Tracy Kroft said...

Well, there's loudness and then there's eardrum-shattering LOUDNESS. This was the right kind of loudness. No amps, no bad sound guys, it was all good.

So there.

jzztpt1958 said...

Tracy--

If you'd like to attend our 'live' taping of OnStage (at WXXI) next Monday, I can reserve you some tickets...Need to know quick...e-mail me--

That's why there were breaks in the music...we were getting ready for next weeks taping.

rick@rickholland.net

THX!!

Tracy Kroft said...

I'd love two tickets, Rick, thank you! I emailed you from my work email, but it bounced back. I've since tried from my home email. I hope that works.

Thanks again. You guys sounded great!