Monday, May 26, 2008

This One's Not Completely About Music . . .





The first part is about my son. He left early this morning, 6:00 AM to be precise, to spend the summer working at a climbing ranch in Jackson, Wyoming. We left him at the airport after seeing that he got successfully through security. I went back home and went back to bed. At about 10:45, he called to tell me that he was safely in Atlanta and that he'd eaten lunch and was "playing on the moving sidewalks." Yes, he is almost 20. Anyway, late in the day I was awaiting a call from him to let me know that he had gotten into Jackson. I received a text; he was in safe and sound and a couple of minutes early. Great!! A little bit later, I got a phone call asking me to get the ranch's phone number off of the website since his manager was not at the airport to pick him up as he was supposed to be, nor was he answering his phone. Not great!!! Just what I'd been worrying about. Well, one of the many things, anyway. I gave him the number and asked him to call me and let me know what was going on. At 6:45, he texted me and said that he was in a cab on the way to the ranch. I told him to make sure the cabbie waited--how did I even know if the manager was there? I waited. And waited. No calls. No texts.

So, fast-forward a couple of hours and consider how many scenarios have played through my head. My son walking alone in the dark on a deserted road in the Grand Teton National Park. No food, no water, robbed of all his money by the corrupt cabbie . . . you name it, I thought of it.

Finally, about 9:30, I got the phone call. He was fine. The manager thought he was coming tomorrow; that's why he wasn't at the airport to pick him up. Good God. Anyway, Drew had eaten and everything was "cool." I said, ""Could you have called me a little earlier; I was completely freaking out!" Apparently, the cell phone reception in the Grand Tetons is spotty, at best. Maybe a landline? All I know is that I wouldn't have slept all night long if I didn't know that he was safe and sound at the Ranch.

Now about the music. Drew came home from school with all sorts of "new" music on his laptop--Steely Dan being the favorite! He was amazed (and a bit jealous) that I was going to see them later this summer. He made me a "Car Mix" that has a lot of Steely Dan on it as well as Pink Floyd and some other old stuff (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Derek & the Dominos, as well as Cake, Derek Trucks and Piers Faccini). He also gave me several of the mixes that he made for the Rock Wall at school. I will have him with me, at least musically, all summer. He also gave me the Joe Jackson CD that I asked him for--it's got a DVD, too! I was very happy. What I've heard of it so far is as great as I expected it to be.

That's all for now.

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: