Thursday, May 8, 2008

Guitarist, Bassist, Percussionist, Vocalist, Comedian - Tommy Emmanuel

What a show! Tommy Emmanuel is gifted in so many ways--his musicianship is incomparable, but he also has incredible heart and personality - in addition to a great sense of humor. He was two solid hours of top-notch entertainment. The smile never left my face.

He played the guitar, but the way HE played it, the instrument was also bass and drum as well. He sang, cracked jokes (some better than others), and told stories of his life that were very touching and made him all the more real to us.

I can't even begin to figure out just how many tunes he did, I loved all of them but one. There was a Beatles' medley that was great, and he also played his very first recorded arrangement of Michelle. The songs that were covers, were very original in his arrangement. His own songs were exquisite as well. It was very telling that at least half, if not more than half, of the audience was musicians--mostly guitar players. Good ones. Like my Joe, Kinloch Nelson, Bob Pickert and many others who Joe knew or knew of as musicians.

Tommy's from Australia, and he wrote this one song, Initiation, about an aboriginal youth's "walkabout" (like a vision quest, I believe) and the music was very, well, aboriginal and primitive. It was beautiful in its own right, but it was long and the effects were extremely loud. So loud, in fact, that the guy in front of me had his hands over his ears. Even though I didn't like that one tune, I could still appreciate the talent. Every sound--whether it was the ocean, an animal's keening, drums, a didgeridoo or wind was being made by him on that guitar. It was pretty spectacular.

The only downside was that the guy in front of me had the biggest head (he was a really big guy to begin with) that I have ever seen. I could see the stage on the left of his head, but that meant I couldn't lean right, toward Joe, and I had Mr. Personal Space Invader on my left. We were thigh-to-thigh, shoulder-to-shoulder for most of the show. Joe and I are going to see Allan Holdsworth at the German House next weekend, and I will keep that experience in mind when choosing seats and try to get an aisle.

I'll be wanting to see Tommy Emmanuel the next time he comes to town again, that's for sure. You should, too.

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: