Saturday, May 17, 2008

Steve Greene Trio + Tina Albright = Beautiful Music



I was lucky enough to be at the Friday Jazz at Immanuel Series last night to hear The Steve Greene Trio and Tina Albright. The "trio" usually does include Tina (making it a quatro, I guess), but tonight it was billed differently.

No matter how they want to bill this group, it always adds up to the same thing: beautiful, enjoyable and interesting. Tonight I heard Tina do three songs that I've never heard her sing, two of which I've never even heard--When a Blossom Falls, which was utterly heartfelt and stirringly beautiful and Duke's Place (or Take Me to Duke's Place) which was kind of dark, seductive and a little sad. Tina tells a story with every song, and not everyone can do that. She is an exemplary vocalist.

I have been listening to Steve Greene for over a decade, and he has a sound that is completely his own; I would know it anywhere. Though I can always recognize it, his sound is indescribable for me (which is a rare thing), but totally delightful. He puts a twist on every tune. His version of Fly Me to the Moon was sort of Latin and very different and totally Steve.

Two words for Dave Arenius' bass playing: excellent and eclectic. I always think of the bassist as a support person, kind of holding things together. Dave holds it together well, and can improv with the best of them. He did a solo tune that was totally cool that everyone seemed to love. Whether using his fingers, the bow or the tip of the bow, Dave gets a cool sound out of that bass.

I decided to use the above photo even though it is not Bill Blind with Tina, Steve and Dave. I don't know who that man is though I have seen him play with the Trio at the Little. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to "photoshop" Bill in. So sorry, Bill. Bill Blind's drumming is understated, yet it's an integral part of every tune, and it's perfect. I also heard him playing the piano while Steve was getting set up. It was the theme from the Flintstones, but it was very well done! Another support position, the drums often get ignored unless the drummer is not good or is too loud. Bill Blind is just right.

When you put these four wonderful musicians together, the beautiful music is guaranteed. They do play out at the Little Theatre and other venues--look for them. You will love them.

yours in music
Tracy

1 comment:

Peter short said...

I am glad you take pride in what you write. This makes you stand way out from many other writers that push poorly written content.
clubs κολωνακι