Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Two More Nights Spent on Jazz Street



So, last night was the night I've been looking forward to for some time. My two favorite musicians in the whole world were going to be playing together for the first time as a new band. Joe Chiappone and Bill Tiberio, who were joined by Phil Lake on drums, Geoff Smith on bass and Scott Bradley on piano and trumpet, had their debut gig at the Big Tent at this year's RIJF. They were phenomenal, and this is not a biased opinion. The crowd was on its feet at the end and asking for "just one more."

Joe's guitar solo on the opening song was absolutely on fire, and all the guys played so well together. Each had amazing solos. Some of Scott's original compositions were featured, and they were all lovely. "Return of the King" brought me to tears. The last song, John Mayer's "The Heart of Life," also got me all misty; it was just so beautiful. Joe looked like he was transported and he took me (and everyone else) with him. All these guys are amazing musicians who both know, and love, what they're doing--that's obvious. What a delight.


Photo credits go to Gene Rogalski.

Tonight, I spent a couple of hours manning the WGMC 90.1FM booth with some of the DJs at the station. It was fun to represent them and meet lots of interesting people. The music being played on the free stage tonight was really quite good and was constant. It was the Eastman Youth Jazz Orchestra combo along with an occasional Frank Sinatra-type vocalist. It was enjoyable to listen to, and it sounded like they had quite an appreciative crowd.

It was cold. So cold, in fact, that I bought an RIJF pullover. It helped a lot, and it's kind of cute, too.

Don't forget, Afterglow with the Rick Holland Evan Dobbins Little Big Band goes on tonight at Tasteology. Maybe after I thaw out (if I haven't dozed off), I'll make it over there.

yours in music,
Tracy

4 comments:

uncle wally said...

nice pic of joe there.

Tracy Kroft said...

Yeah!

uncle wally said...

hey, you should put a link for the other version (the insider one) on the links on the right side of the page.

Tracy Kroft said...

Thanks for reminding me; I thought of that, but didn't do it. I'll do it now.