Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A "Spike" in Readership

I was wondering if I had any rise in the number of readers after the link to my blog was put in City Newspaper's Frank DeBlase column last week. Lo and behold, Google Analytics reports a "sharp spike" of one (yes, 1) new reader. (And I know who you are!) And I notice that people are spending a whopping 13 seconds on my blog, and I have an 83.3% "bounce rate." Which basically tells me that people are stumbling upon my blog, looking at it and saying, "Oh, this sucks." and then moving right along.

Now, I really don't believe that everything I write is interesting to everyone, but I also don't believe that everything I write sucks, either. So, I'm wondering how many people are turned off to reading the blog once they see they have to "sign in." The link leads them to the last posts, but to read anything beyond that, they have to have a Google account. I think some people don't want to bother or are concerned that they'll have yet another email account to maintain or that they'll have to put too much information out to Google just to read some lousy blog.

If I decide to continue this, I think I might look around and find a blog spot that does not require readers to sign in. Maybe that will boost my readership!

Or, maybe I should just write better.

yours in music,
Tracy

2 comments:

uncle wally said...

I wouldn't worry too much about traffic. Given the glut of blogs,even a small amount of readers is enough to keep you going. And the google thing is a minor glitch, more their end marketing than anything else. Just keep whacking away, and things will happen.

Tracy Kroft said...

Comments, like yours, are what keeps me going. If someone comments, then at least I know someone is reading, and that person(s) may shed new insight on something I've written and open my mind to a different point of view. So, it's all very good. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.
Tracy