Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Most Unexpected and Exciting Meeting.

Well, I had something unexpected happen today when a gentleman came into the place where I work and needed to meet with someone regarding membership and its benefits. As we sat and talked, he looked at my card and, realizing that was the same name of the writer of this blog, said, "Hey, you have a blog!" or something like that. Then he went on to say how much he liked it (that alone was enough to make me smile) and that he had emailed me that very day (I didn't see my email until after the meeting) to ask me if I would consider being a volunteer DJ. I was floored! I think he said something like "have a show" which would imply that I'd have to talk. My speaking voice leaves a lot to be desired. My daughter said I'd have to work on talking slower, lower and smoother. That's a tall order!

People think I know a lot about music. I don't know why they think that. When I talk to musicians, record store owners, venue operators, music educators and others in the field, it reinforces (in my mind) how little I really do know. Now, I sure do love music--it's really the core of who I am and it always has been. I can't imagine life without music, without being able to sing (my singing voice is more pleasant--thank God--than my speaking voice). I wish I could play an instrument. I could. I have a beautiful guitar sitting up in my bedroom, and I have the world's best teacher ready to teach me, but I never have the time/make the time to practice. I can practice singing anywhere--in the shower, in the car, at work (when no one is listening), at church, at rehearsals. Well, you get the picture. My instrument is with me wherever I go, and sometimes I even think in song.

My point is that knowing that I know as little as I do, I'm kind of intimidated by the prospect of doing the DJ thing. However, I do have a passion for music. For music in general, for music in Rochester, for trying to get more live music venues in Rochester, for trying to get people off their LazyBoys and out to see the amazing musical talent we have right here in our city. So, if passion would be enough, then I just might do it. I'm going to think a little more about it.

Now for a music review. My son brought me a couple of cuts from an album of his. Rodrigo y Gabriela are a Mexican guitar duo who play fast, rhythmic acoustic guitars. Rodrigo Sánchez, lead guitar, and Gabriela Quintero, rhythm guitar, are from Mexico City, Mexico. They met there while playing in a thrash metal band called "Tierra Acida". (What the hell is "thrash metal," anyway? God, that makes me sound ancient. Forget I said that.) They got frustrated with the music scene there and moved to Europe where they have met with appreciable acclaim. I am ordering their self titled album--Rodrigo y Gabriela-- because I just love it. I believe their style would be considered "flamenco" style guitar. It is, in fact, impossible for me to sit still when I'm listening--dancing at my desk chair, dancing in my car seat--I just couldn't wait to get home, put it on the CD player and dance through the house. It's 7.99 or something on Amazon. How can you go wrong?

yours in music,
Tracy

2 comments:

uncle wally said...

oh go ahead and dj - there's nothing to it. You spin songs, you talk.

Tracy Kroft said...

Talk!!! Good God. Whatever would I say?