Monday, June 14, 2010

Stanley Jordan Made Me Cry ...

but only in the best way.

So, on Day 4 of the Jazz Fest, because of time constraints, the only show I could see was Stanley Jordan's 7:15 Harro East show. Well, if I could only see one show, that was the one to see! This man is an incredible talent. A solo show, just Stanley and his guitar (and his piano), tonight's music ranged from a Mozart piece to his improvisation of a Bela Bartok concerto to Stairway to Heaven.

The Mozart piece was where the tears began, but I was able to hold it together. Although I wanted to see his hands moving on the guitar strings, it was so beautiful to just close my eyes and be transported to a place of peace and beauty. And it kept the tears where they belonged! His improv on the Bela Bartok concerto took him to the piano. With the guitar still strapped to him, he started with both hands on the piano, then one hand on the guitar for the lower notes and one on the piano for the higher notes. At the same time. And he switched. It was amazing. What was cool about it, was that it wasn't some kind of showy trick; it was like musical genius. At least to me. And, I think it was to everyone in the packed Harro East because he got his first standing ovation after that. Well deserved, I'd say.

There's nothing I can say about his version of Stairway to Heaven except that it was so well done and very, very cool. Once again, a standing ovation after that which brought him back out on stage for an encore. That was Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and that was when the tears were unstoppable. So beautiful, so different, so excellent.

I managed to wipe my face and get myself together enough for the "meet and greet" in the lobby where he most graciously signed my Club Pass.

yours in music,
Tracy

And now, an addendum to my post on Mose Allison. Everyone who has mentioned that particular show has expressed disappointment, but also surprise. It is obvious that he was much more of a talent when he was younger. The man is 82, and he is still touring around the country. I feel kind of bad that I was so negative about his show when, clearly, I do not have 1/100th of his abilities.

No comments: