Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 2 - Catherine Russell and Michael Kaeshammer

Wow! I stuck to my schedule, and if it hadn't have rained, I would have heard everything. I missed only Filthy Funk because they couldn't take the stage on time due to the rain. Otherwise, I got to everything on my schedule.

Starting about 4:45, I stood in what was a pretty long line for the 5:30 Catherine Russell show. I got in and was able to grab a stool near the back. She was excellent - her voice, her engagement with the audience, her choice of tunes - what a great show! She looked and sounded like she loved what she was doing. Even the Harro East sound system was pretty good; either that, or they have better sound engineers these days. Anyway, what a delight!

At the end of that, I ran over to the Lutheran Church to get in line for Torben Waldorff. I was Number 2 in line! We had our pick of seats, and this time, the guitarist wasn't hung up by visa problems. The sax player, Seamus Blake, was quite good. I think, though, that he and Torben had never played together because a) Seamus was reading everything, and b) Torben mispronounced his name. Twice. It's Shay-mus, not See-mus. Felt bad for the guy. The music was just a little bit "out there." (Tracy is kind of a simpleton when it comes to jazz - I like a melody.) Anyway, there was enough melody throughout their pieces for me to hang on to, and the "out there" stuff was fine.

Running through the fairly heavy raindrops to get umbrellas and jackets was fun! Then a trip to the Merch Tent for Joe to buy a non-pastel blue umbrella and a hat. The hat will ultimately be mine! We grabbed some chow and met up with some friends, caught a few Los Lonely Boys tunes and waited for Filthy Funk.

We parted ways at 9:30, and I headed over to the Montage to hear Michael Kaeshammer. Holy Cow. I'm in love. (Just kidding, Joe.) This kid is huge talent and huge personality. Not only can he play piano like crazy, he can sing, he is totally engaging and has fun with the audience, and he is ADORABLE. And, he gave his bassist and drummer lots of their own time in the spotlight. I wish I knew their names, and he did introduce them several times, but people were clapping and yelling so loud I missed them. I felt like the bassist was channeling a little bit of Ralph now and again. Here's a little piece of a number he did tonight. This is just a clip I found on You Tube. I do not own the video or any rights to the song. His CDs were sold out, so I'm going to his website to see how to order them.

Catherine Russell and Michael Kaeshammer's shows went a long, long way in making me feel like I sure did get my money's worth from this year's Club Pass. I can't wait to see them both again.

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: