Sunday, June 13, 2010

Charnett Moffett

This guy was all that I expected and more. Charnett played with a drummer and a woman playing tambora (sp?). Both of these musicians shared the last name Moffett. I can only assume the drummer is his brother. The woman may be his sister or his wife. There was a pianist whose name I didn't catch, and a trumpet player - RJ Avallone. Charnett introduced these players multiple times, but through the applause, I couldn't be sure of all their names. It's unfortunate that none of the band members' names are listed in the XRIJF program book. (I noticed this when I looked up the Bill Tiberio Band and found that none of the members besides Bill were listed, and no bios for them.)

Anyway, back to Charnett. I saw him, for the first time, when he played with McCoy Tyner. His "mad skills" blew me away, and I knew if I ever had the chance to see him play again, I would. His was the first name I saw on the 2010 XRIJF artist list, and I was so happy to have my Club Pass to be able to see him.

If memory serves, when he played with McCoy, most of the tunes were jazz standard type tunes. Tonight, he was much more avant-garde, maybe bebop-ish, but there was always a little melody I could hold on to or that he would come back to - for simple Tracy. You all know I like my melodies. So, tonight's Charnett was a little more challenging for me, but he was awesome. His fingers FLEW. And the drummer would keep up, note for note. Very cool. Charnett very graciously signed my Club Pass after the show; he was sitting in the foyer on the way out so the crowd could meet and greet. Love that!

One of my favorite photogs was there, and he showed me some shots he got of Charnett - they were most excellent. I need a camera like his. And skills like his, too!

Because of some unforeseen family conflicts, I was only able to stay for that one show. But that was the one show I wanted to see, so all's well that ends well.

I'll probably be back on the scene tomorrow; I'll post my schedule when I know it. There are a few I'd like to see. Hope to see YOU!

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: