Friday, March 28, 2008

Merchants Grill on a Thursday night.

I met my mom and dad at the Merchants Grill last night to have a drink for my dad's birthday. I picked that place (not my favorite, by the way) because it's very close to their house and because a woman I know through my work, Brenda Barber, was singing there. She invited me to come and hear her solo act. She also sings with a "party band" but this deal is just her singing to backing tracks.

She had a huge voice--rich, deep, bluesy--really beautiful. I'd prefer to hear her with a real band backing her, but that's me. I bet she'd sound great with a little jazz trio behind her--all torchy and seductive--but she'd be good with a hard rocking blues band, too.

The problem for me was that my parents actually wanted to converse! Brenda's voice alone was loud, but it was her backing tracks that were killing me. Too, too loud. If the music could have been turned down a few hundred decibels and I was alone, I would have enjoyed it very much. As I said, her voice was great, she had "stage presence" and she was giving her all on every tune. I'm sure she's a blast with the party band.

As usual people all around were yakking away. I know that I could not stand up in front of a bunch of people and sing my heart out knowing that no one was listening. Well, not no one. There were people here and there who, I believe, came specifically to hear her. And as the night went on, there were fewer dinner groups and fewer barflies and more people listening. I'd definitely go see her again.

I received an email from a local musician--a bassist--who is looking for a blues or jazz band to play with. I've mentioned it to one friend who may be interested, and I'm putting it out there for anyone to comment and let me know if they are looking.

The Bill Welch Band, one of my favorites, is playing from 7:00 to 9:00 this Saturday night at Hi Fidelity. I don't want to miss that show. They are an amazing group of musicians who just keep getting better and better. Hope to see you there!

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: