Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What happens on a walk on Park Avenue . . .






Bo and I wanted to take a walk. We wanted something "different," so we decided to hop in the car and head to Park Avenue. We parked at the plaza where Cobb's Hill Pizza and Pasta is, and headed west on Park. A short ways down the street, we came upon a trio - guitar, banjo and fiddle - playing in the park. I'm not one to over-categorize music, but if I had to say, they play Bluegrass, American roots music. Joe Kollar, Dan Forsyth, and Claire Byrne were here wandering the streets of Rochester and playing their music to promote their concert tomorrow night at Water Street Music Hall. Their fourth band member, Jon Doll, will join them then. Driftwood is the name of the band. They were kind enough to give me their CD which I will be playing at home and in the car.

I didn't have my camera when I first saw (and heard them), so I went back to the car to get it. By the time I caught up with them, they were on the move, looking for a new place to play. I stopped them, and they graciously agreed to let me take their pictures while they played. They were excellent musicians, and they were excited to hear that I would like to write about them in my blog!

If I can get over to Water Street tomorrow night, I'd love to see Driftwood. And, I think you should, too!

Tomorrow, I'll write more about the adventures Bo and I had today while we explored Rochester!

yours in music,
tracy

No comments: