Saturday, April 3, 2010

Another Friday night delight - Dinner at Rocco and Music at Dino

We went to dinner at Rocco on Monroe Avenue just past Union. What a delight! The service was great, the food was fabulous! Joe, Tina and Dave all raved about the calamari appetizer (squid's not my thing), and the house-made ricotta with grilled bread appetizer was delish. Three of us had the Caesar salad, which was also very good. Dave and Tina had the striped bass special, Joe had the imported rigatoni with meatballs (presumably not imported!), and I had the lasagne alla pizzaiolo. This was not your usual lasagna. It was not a brick of pasta and meat and heavy cheeses. This was light and fluffy - just the pasta and the house-made ricotta with a touch of bechamel sauce and the red sauce. It was absolutely delicious and did not weigh me down. There was a nice wine list - one side was a $25/bottle list - and we chose a Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, which was absolutely wonderful for everyone's meal.

Rocco is on my list for a return visit - and soon!

We left there and got to the Dinosaur just in time to hear the first notes of Redline Zydeco. And from the very first note, the dance floor was filled! I went to New Orleans in 1999, and the music of Redline Zydeco brought me right back. The only band member I know is Russ Roberts from The Lawnmowers. He really gave his cajun accordion a workout last night! The guy with the washboard came marching through the bar, and the people sitting next to me got to play! He must have known by looking at me that I have no musical ability because he did not even offer me the spoon to play his washboard abs! A fun band, especially for a warm and summery Friday night.

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: