Saturday, June 13, 2009

"Your love of music will be an important part of your life." Bo's Fortune Cookie Message

There were three fortune cookies sitting on the dining room table. My daughter and I decided to share them and include the dog, Bo. She let him pick first. He got the fortune that was clearly meant for me. I got one about a distant relative calling me.

Jazz Fest Day One - For starters, I got to meet Kathy from the Rochester Music Hall of Fame planning committee, and I received some promotional cards to hand out along my Jazz Fest travels. If you see me there, you will get a card! This project is the brainchild of Karl LaPorta, and I'm delighted to be able to help him and his planning group in any way that I can. I posted a link to the site; check it out.

I saw Bill Frisell last night. I enjoyed the last 45 minutes. The first half-hour was, as I told Joe, complete "monkey-torture" for me. It sounded like a bunch of kids at Northfield Music Studio trying out all the effects pedals and "noodling" around. It made me very tense. I was not enjoying it at all, and the second piece went on forever. I was waiting for it to end so I could answer a text message I knew had come from my daughter. As the piece ended, I left the Kilbourn auditorium area so I wouldn't disturb anyone. I was followed by a herd of people who also were not enjoying the "music."

However, upon my return, Mr. Frisell found a melody. I think it was Danny Boy or something that sounded like it, but he made it his own. There were still plenty of effects, but there was melody. And it was beautiful. And each piece after it had a melodic base to it. Finally, the concert was enjoyable for me. Had the whole concert been like that, I would say I loved his playing. He is clearly a good player. Too bad for the herd of people who left, I think they would have enjoyed the last 45 minutes. I did.

Tonight, SMV Thunder Tour!!!!

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: