Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Little Sad to See RIJF 2009 End

Though I didn't have a Club Pass, the weather was more cooperative this year than last, and I had a great time on Jazz Street. Last night, I enjoyed hearing the Campbell Brothers and was thrilled to learn that my friend Cinnamon Jones was singing with them. It was great to see her - it's been a long time. Campbell Brothers were excellent and filled with life.

We stayed for about half of Robert Randolph, but were tired of being pushed and shoved and rudely stepped into, so we headed out of that fray and up toward Tower of Power.

Robert Randolph was the powerhouse I expected them to be, and if they come anywhere near here, I will be first in line to buy tickets to see them in a better venue than the free stage at Alexander and East.

We stood in a fog of cigar smoke not even close enough to really hear Tower of Power well. What is Hip was the last tune I heard before we tried to beat the crowd to Matthews Pub to get a late dinner and rest our weary backs, legs and feet. Matthews was pretty good - food was fine and the service was quick, pleasant and thorough.

I don't know that we'll be going back down tonight; there's really no one on my list to see, though I heard that Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers is supposed to be good. Don't know if I want to fight the crowd, the smoke and the rain. We'll see.

I kept hearing people say how great these nine days are every year and how the city feels "alive" and how they don't want to see it end. Here's my thought: if we could just get the RIJF folks to promote and support the local jazz scene all year round with the expertise they show during the Jazz Fest, then we'd really have something going on in Rochester!

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: