Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Unexpected Jem at the Park Ave.

I was at the Park Ave. Fest yesterday, and as my heels were being clipped by one of the abundance of strollers, and later as I got my third face-full of second-hand smoke, I wondered why I even come to these festivals. I really wonder what these parents are thinking that their babies and screaming toddlers are getting out of these festivals. The single, double-wide, three-long, sport-jogger models and the wagons really clog up the streets and are hazardous to those on foot. Meanwhile, none of the kids look like they're having any fun. In fact, most just look hot and miserable.

Okay, that's my rant. But the question I kept asking myself, "Why do I keep coming to these things?" found an answer in the Po’ Boys Brass Band, of whose set I managed to catch the last three or four songs.

I saw the name on the artist list for this event, and not knowing who was in the band, I didn’t really think much about it. I did not plan to seek them out. Luckily, I happened upon them by chance. They were amazing. As soon as I saw Evan Dobbins and Nick Finzer, I realized this was not your average “New Orleans” jazz band. These are top-notch musicians playing New Orleans-style brass/funk/ROCK! Nick plays electric trombone. With a large array of effects pedals in front of him, he turned that trombone into Hendrix’ guitar. Unbelievable!

You have got to hear this band! Find them on the web at http://www.poboysbrassband.com/ and on MySpace and Facebook as well.

No comments: