Saturday, October 6, 2007

Has it really been over a month?

I could have sworn that I'd posted something in late September, but I guess not. Sorry. Still trying to figure out if there's any point in keeping this blog going. Maybe I need to tweak the direction a bit and get more disciplined about writing. But if I don't go out to see/hear any music, then there's nothing for me to write.

However, I did go out last night. Who would have thought that a place with a name like "Stucko's" which looks like a garage and is attached to a business named "Squidd's Live Bait" would have excellent jazz music? Well, I would, because I knew that Joe Chiappone, Greg Wachala and Dave Arenius were playing there last night. A trio comprised of two guitars (Joe and Greg) and an upright bass (Dave) doing jazz standards--extremely well--and having fun at the same time. They played for two hours with a short break, and the time just flew by. These guys, besides being technical experts at their instruments, have a ton of soul and make a very sweet sound together. I'll be sure to let you know when they are playing together again. I hope it's soon. I do let Greg at Jazz@Rochester know, and he includes them in his comprehensive list of what's happening in Rochester's jazz world every week.

Tonight, I am lucky enough to see my two favorite musicians performing together--Joe Chiappone and Bill Tiberio. They will be playing with Dave Cohen and Geoff Smith at RIT's Fireside Lounge in the Student Alumni Union building. This is part of RIT's Bricktown Weekend event, therefore, I don't know if it's open to the general public or if it's just for RIT students, parents, alumni, etc. But it's been a dream of mine to see Joe and Bill play together; I'm very excited. I'll let you all know how wonderful it was afterward.

As an aside, I think the age of email and texting has totally corrupted my sense of grammatical correctness, proper syntax and usage. I used to be, as my son called me, "The Grammar Police," and quite confident in my language skills, but now I second guess myself all the time. So, if you find any errors, be sure to let me know!

yours in music,
Tracy

2 comments:

Tom D said...

Is that the Squidd's over on Empire/Clifford (I can never keep it straight where it changes names)? How goes it Mistress Blogger? A bit of news, Tom gave his 2 week notice to Dr. P on Friday. I have a new job to start at Carestream Health!

Tracy Kroft said...

It is, and he might be playing there again next Friday, 6:30 - 8:30; I'll let you know. You and your wife should come out. And OH MY! How'd he take it? I'll write you and email.
T