Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And so . . . Pandora.

My daughter introduced me to Pandora, and now I'm enjoying the ability to create my own "radio station" dedicated exclusively to a particular artist's style. On my Chuck Loeb station, I get him and others with a like style; for instance, Larry Carlton. On my Tower of Power station, I get them, EW&F, Marvin Gaye, etc.

I'm probably the last person on earth to hear about Pandora, which is part of the Music Genome Project, but this is how it works. You put in the name of an artist you like, and the first song that plays is that artist's. Then you have the opportunity to click a thumbs up or down (do you like it, or don't you) on the image, and the same goes on for each artist who plays after that. Your fave will play every few songs, but in between you might find someone of a similar style whom you've never heard of and really like. You tailor your playlist accordingly. The account goes wherever you go with a computer, so I have my Pandora at home as well as at work. It's fun.

And at least it's something for me to write about.

yours in cybermusic,
Tracy

3 comments:

Tom D said...

Well that's news to me too! Since I'm off work this week, maybe I'll check it out to see how it works.

Tom D said...

Wow, that was easy. I started with Coldplay and now I am hearing all sorts of cool music. Maybe this is something I can "teach" my daughter!!

Tracy Kroft said...

If only . . .

I'm glad you like it, and it is so easy. So, you had a week off in between jobs--that's a beautiful thing. So sorry I had to miss the lunch. I'm very happy for you, and I wish you the best of luck in your new job. Of course, keep in touch!