Thursday, August 23, 2007

Where'd He Get This Stuff?

So, I'm sitting here listening to one of the mixes my son made before he went back to college. There's this Hendrix stuff--Bold As Love and two or three others--some I know and some I don't. Where did he hear these, I wonder? It puts me in this mood--I didn't hear alot of Hendrix until I was 18. He's 18. Where did the time go?

There's something about music that can, sometimes, just reach into my chest and squeeze my heart . . . whether it's the notes or the lyrics or the memories evoked . . . music's always been the key to my emotional state. In the lyrics I hear, I don't know, messages? That makes me sound like a freak, but I think it's true of anyone for whom music touches their soul. And in the instrumentation, well, I can be lifted to heights of happiness and dropped to lows of sadness. This is true of most people, I assume. Sometimes, though, the same note in a given song can lift me to happiness or make me cry. Is this just peculiar to me? I think not.

Anyway, back to my son. My heart aches missing him--especially when I listen to these songs that he's picked for his mixes. It is such a personal thing to put music on a disc for yourself and to share with others. You are using music to speak. It puts one in a position of vulnerability close to that of singing for others. Here you are saying, "Yeah, I like this stuff. It speaks for me and to me." I don't know. For me, that's a big thing.

yours in music,
Tracy

No comments: