Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Most of the players in many of the bands that I go to see are at least 40 if not older, and they can rock out like they were still teenagers. The difference is that they know life and have experienced the highs and lows of being a responsible adult. These experiences come through in their playing, and that's why a musician "of a certain age" can make their instrument "speak" with more soul than a 20-year-old can.

So, let's see, this weekend, I had the pleasure of going out to see live music both Friday and Saturday nights. I always say "see live music" because there is always so much to see. I'm not just talking about the random crazy dancers or other interesting characters who inhabit live music venues. I am talking mostly about watching the faces of the musicians and catching their joy as they play. I love to see the musicians whose facial expressions are evidence that their music transports them to another place. When it transports me, too, that's a great night of music.

Saturday night I was transported by the top-notch musicianship and the love of music of the relatively new band, Frontline. While the band is new, the players are seasoned veterans of the Rochester music scene and beyond. Dave Profetta does incredible things with his guitar, and one of my favorites is his arrangement of the Beatles' Norwegian Wood. Joe Chiappone is the definition of guitarist. It is so clear the joy that making music brings to him. I watch when he and Dave solo back and forth and you can see the artistic appreciation in each one's face while the other is playing. That's true for all the band members. Dick Calleri (I hope I didn't butcher the spelling of your last name) plays bass and handles the vocals with occasional harmonizing with Dave--beautiful stuff. The drums are usually covered nicely by Ken Kahler, but this week Joe Opipari filled in quite well. All four players show their technical skills, but don't try to jam too many notes into a measure. Their covers are spot on and their solos and their own arrangements add a new and exciting dimension to songs you've heard before. Check this band out May 11 at Village Rock in East Rochester.

Tony Infantino (yes, the Radio Personality--though I'm old enough to remember when we just called them deejays) can sing! Maybe I should have figured that anyone with as smooth a radio voice as Tony has could sing, but you never know. He has a new band called Keys to the Caddy, and they had their debut Friday night at The Keg (behind the German House). I didn't get much biographical info on the band members, but my understanding is they are all experienced players who've been in other bands. They seemed to be having as much fun as the audience, and it was a cool show.

No comments: